OTHER FACTS A truck crashed into the crowd gathered on the Promenade des Anglais to 14 -July …
the horror in full festivities of July 14 . A truck drove through the crowd on Thursday evening on the Nice English of Promenade (Alpes-Maritimes) which, according to Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve at least 84 dead. Gunshots were also exchanged with the police who shot the driver of the vehicle. 20 Minutes reports on the first information …
& gt; & gt; Follow live the unfolding events
What has happened tonight in Nice?
According to a witness contacted by 20 Minutes , it was just over 22:30, Thursday evening when a truck crashed into the crowd gathered on the Nice English at Promenade on the occasion of the festivities of July 14. “It happened at breakneck speed, perhaps 90 km / h. There are three tracks on the Promenade des Anglais. There were body on three channels. There are a lot of victims, “explained Julien, who took advantage of the festivities with friends
& gt;. & Gt; Read also: “I saw bodies flying like bowling pins in its path”
Several people climbed over the parapet walk to throw below on the beach and escape the vehicle, whose long running some 2 km stopped near the Palais de la Méditerranée, flat tires and windshield riddled balls. His driver was shot dead by police. “When he was shot by the police, he fired several times,” said the first deputy LR of the city of Nice and President of the PACA region, Christian Estrosi. A source close to investigators, a grenade “inoperative” and “long fake weapons” were found in the truck of 19 tonnes. Christian Estrosi had previously mentioned that the truck driver was in possession of weapons “heavy”.
According to the Interior Ministry, at least 84 people died “including children” and 18 injured are still “absolute urgency”. also there were “fifty minor injuries” and 120 other people “involved”, shocked or supported by the rescue, said the spokesman of the Ministry Pierre-Henry Brandet.
Who was the attacker?
identity papers in the name of a Franco-Tunisian, 31, lives in Nice, were found inside the truck but the formal identification of the driver had not been confirmed at dawn Friday. According to a police source, the man listed on her papers is only known to the ordinary facts. It would have rented the truck that was used to attack “last few days”, according to BFM TV.
Should we speak of an attack?
François Hollande spoke just hours after the fact, “an attack on the terrorist nature can not be denied.” Very soon after the events, the Nice prefecture asked the residents to “stay at home”, citing “an attack” in progress. However, no confirmation or claim has been given yet. Contacted by 20 Minutes Jean-Michel Priest, the prosecutor of Nice, has refused to comment on that. But soon after, prosecutors announced that the anti-terrorist section of the Paris parquet is seized of the investigation.
How do the authorities?
On the road to Avignon, François Hollande interrupted his journey to join Manuel Valls who activated the crisis at the Elysee. “France has been hit the day of its National Day, July 14, symbol of freedom, because human rights are denied by the fanatics, and that France is necessarily their target,” said the president . He said maintaining “a high level Sentinel operation, one that mobilizes 10,000 troops in addition to the gendarmes and police officers.” Hollande also announced its intention to “appeal to the operational reserve, that is to say to all those who at one time were in uniform or on the strength of the gendarmerie response to relieve staff of police and gendarmes. ” Finally, he announced the extension of the state of emergency, which was to end on 26 July, three months.
Regarding the operations of France in Iraq and Syria, he said that ” nothing will make us surrender our will to fight against terrorism and we will further strengthen our actions. We will continue to strike those who just attack us on our own soil, in their lairs. ” Bernard Cazeneuve has announced that the Vigipirate was raised to “bomb alert” in the Alpes-Maritimes.
How do the people?
Shocked and very supportive. Very quickly an “Open Doors” operation was launched on Twitter to allow many of those present to take refuge. Julien has told us that he had entered into the nearest building and had found refuge “in an apartment rented by a couple of Russians.” On the social network,
the witnesses have also increased calls to try to find relatives. The social network
Facebook has activated the Safety Check according to its side.
Shortly after the incident, several rumors have also spread on the Internet, citing hostage taking, the presence of a second assailant or fire in Paris. Police headquarters in the capital and the Interior Ministry asked on Twitter not to spread false rumors without verifying the source.