Between 82,5 and 83 million foreign visitors in 2016: this is the first official estimate provided by the government – compared to the record high of 85 million international tourists who had visited france in 2015, down between 2.3 and 2.9%.
“2016 is going to stay a year apart, because of the terrorist attacks, inclement weather, and social movements“, said the minister of foreign Affairs, also in charge of the Tourism, travel to Biarritz and Bayonne.
“destination +France+ has suffered“, but the attendance estimated for the last year performs “France is still the place of world’s leading tourist destination” in front of the United States and Spain, the minister said.
He also pointed out that the government’s goal – set in June 2014, i.e. before the wave of attacks to reach the 100 million foreign tourists by 2020 was still valid.
The title of the good news, the chief of diplomacy has done in the state of a “mass return of the japanese client“, which had been particularly rebuked by the terrorist attacks of 2015 and 2016.
More generally, the Quai d’orsay has set before “a rebound is evident at the end of 2016” of tourism in terms of overnight stays recorded, as well as “beginning 2017” regarding the airline reservations “increase of 10.4% to Paris in the first quarter of“.
“It has really begun a recovery from September/October, and the end of the year, November and December was better than expected“, confirmed to the AFP, Christian Mantei, ceo of Atout France, the agency for the promotion of tourism in the country.
the hotel in Paris sits up –
A revival ofwhich is confirmed by increasing in January and February, with numbers that are recovering in the capital,”-he stressed.
Because it is above all the hotels in Paris, more than in the cities of the province, which has suffered from the disaffection: the ministry of foreign Affairs recalls that it should not be “minimize the impact of this difficult year on the professionals, particularly in the hospitality sector, with -5,7% for the nights“.
“2016 was a difficult year for our businesses, especially in Paris and on the Côte d’azur” admitted Roland Héguy, president of the main organization of the sector, the Umih.
He stressed that the decrease in the Hexagon “was expected by the professionals“, while calling it “acontained“. He called to put the “heading on 2017. We must redouble our efforts to catch up our delay, and to achieve the goal of 100 million tourists by 2020“.
on Tuesday, the Insee was encrypted for the first time the recovery observed by many professionals of tourism end-of-year: the number of nights accumulated by the foreign tourists and French has increased by 2.9% over the last three months of 2016, a level higher than it was two years ago at the same time, which is before the attacks.
Insee should not communicate prior to April revenues final for 2016 as a whole. However, if we add the preliminary data already published quarter by quarter, the decline in overnight stays of foreign tourists displays for the moment -6,8% compared to 2015, according to a calculation made by the AFP.