Published on 02/16/2015 at 10:10. Updated 16/02/2015 at 10:50.
In November Altice had already expressed its interest in Bouygues Telecom. The holding company of billionaire Patrick Drahi now seems to have started maneuvers for future redemption. Indeed, it has examined the conditions for a resumption of the number three French operators, according to information from the financial agency Bloomberg News.
Informal discussions between advisers of both parties
Altice and Bouygues advisers held informal discussions on a possible deal, says Bloomberg, citing people familiar with the matter. However, Altice has not yet decided whether to proceed with a formal offer or not.
The holding of Patrick Drahi believes that a merger with Bouygues Telecom could be endorsed by the authorities French, as long as the operation does not result in significant job losses, added the sources cited by Bloomberg. The government has shown open effect assuming a 4 to 3 to reduce the number of operators active in the French market.
Current Pa negotiating for the sale of its subsidiary Telecom provides Bouygues
However, Bouygues said Monday, February 16 was no negotiations currently underway for the sale of its subsidiary Bouygues Telecom, stressing that “it receives from several months expressions of interest for its telecom subsidiary at a time when most operators want a consolidation of the sector. “
The third major operation in a few months?
Such an operation, the amount would total EUR billion, would be the third major Altice few months after the acquisition of SFR and Portugal Telecom. The company Patrick Drahi also established in the meantime a significant size press group in France.
Last year, Bouygues had entered into negotiations with the other major French telecom entrepreneur Xavier Niel (Iliad / Free) to cede its subsidiary, but talks have stalled over the sale price. The media had reported that while Bouygues claimed up to 8 billion euros for its telecom subsidiary.